Archive for August, 2008
- “Odd Sympathies” is a mobile sound project by “Sans façon”, a collaborative art practice between a French architect, Charles Blanc, and a British artist, Tristan Surtees.
This is a re-blog from their blog, an extract of their press release:
We finished the last performances of Odd Sympathies last week-end.
An extract from the press release:
“Imagine attending a concert but instead of sitting or standing, you walk. Imagine the music you listen to captured from sounds that already exist around you as you walk through the concert. Imagine the concert is slightly different each time you experience it because there may be unexpected sounds along the way. Sans façon and composer John Metcalf have collaborated to create Odd Sympathies, three new sonic pieces that capture the sounds of the city of Cardiff and together form what we believe is the first sonic map of the city.
Drawing inspiration from the iconic work 4’33’’ Silence by John Cage, Odd Sympathies is a series of carefully composed sound maps of Cardiff that take in some of the fascinating landmarks in the city and open the ears to a sound world that is in many ways as dense and magical as a rainforest.”
and a short interview on Radio Wales Arts Show with Nicola Heywood Thomas available until june 12:
This competition is not mentioning sound or music, but their interest in location- and context-aware mobile and ubiquitous media, and their mentioning of artistic works might make it worthwhile to submit some mobile sound and music projects- go on, sonify mindtrek!
This is from their website:
Call to participate in the
2nd Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards Competition (7000 Euros)
October 7-9, 2008 | Tampere, Finland
DEADLINE: 12th September 2008 16:00
The Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards is an international competition arranged by MindTrek, Nokia and Tampere Region Centre of Expertise in Ubiquitous Computing, and the NAMU research group.
The purpose of the competition is to encourage makers of digital media to generate ideas and develop new and innovative ubimedia products & services. The entries are expected to take a stand on the following questions, for example:
- How does ubiquitous computing affect media environments
- What are intelligent media environments like
- What will the location- and context-aware media services of the future be like
A few other examples are:
- Pervasive and ubiquitous games
- Ambient installations
- Artistic works related to ubiquitous media and computation
- Business models
- Ambient and ubiquitous media technology
- Ubiquitous and ambient media services, devices, and environments
- Context aware, sensing, and interfaces for ubiquitous computation
- Ergonomics, human-computer interaction designs, and product prototypes
- Software, hardware and middleware framework demonstrations
- Ambient television
The total award sum for the Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek competition category is 7 000 Euros. The sum can be awarded to one entry, divided between several entries or not awarded at all if Read the rest of this entry »